21 Self-Care Practices for the Mind, Body, and Soul
At certain points in life, you may find that the world and those in it have a great impact on your time and energy. Some may be good and some may be bad. Therefore, self-care is so important.
When was the last time you took care of yourself?
I know, you’re busy. But aren’t we all are? We need to find the time to take proper care of ourselves. If we don’t, it will be a matter of time beyond we are drowning in stress and exhaustion.
I should know.
Last year, I was a full-time student and employee. I was taking 18 hours of classes and working two jobs. How did I find the time? I didn’t. I just kept overstressing myself. I went from work to class to work then back to class. I had no social life.
I was always focused on the next task on my list. I managed to juggle everything but for what? The expense of my health?
One day, I just quit. I asked myself, what is all this for?
I took a job that gave me more free time. I began to take care of myself; making time to relax, enjoy life.
I found that tiny little self-care habits were the best way to have a healthy mind, body, and soul.
Here are some self-care practices that made a huge impact on my life.
For the Mind
1. Have fun. Very cliché, right? But it is true. Live life, laugh more. If you take life too serious, you’re going to miss out on all the moments that passed you by.
2. Changing up your routine. Take a different route to work. Change it up a bit. Do something different.
3. Be selfish. Pick one thing that makes YOU happy and do it. Don’t think of what others think. Just do it.
4. Declutter. Throw out three things that makes your unhappy. Having excessive clutter around can weigh you down.
5. Unplug. Reduce mental clutter. Turn everything off and free yourself. Take 30 minutes to de-stress. The world won’t collapse without you.
6. Get out of your comfort zone. Do something you don’t normally do. Try something new. Have you been considering trying a new hobby? Well go for it!
7. Remove the negative. Replace the negativity with things that makes you happy.
For the Body
1. Breathe. Breathe into your abdomen and out your stomach and chest.
2. Stretch. Find your tension spots and stretch them out.
3. Dance. Dance can be a form of relaxation for some. Play something energetic and dance. Dance like no one is looking. Be silly.
4. Run the stress out of your life. Literally, run (or walk). Exercise is a key part of self-care. Feel better after a good sweat.
5. Add something healthy. Go less on the junk and more on the greens.
6. Be still. Go somewhere quiet. Take a moment and relax. Embrace the positivity and release the negativity.
7. Treat yourself.
8. Take a nap. Rejuvenate your body. If you are feeling exhausted during the day, take a nap.
For the Soul
1. Help someone. Even if it’s a small gesture like opening a door.
2. Write it down. Has something been bothering you? Write it down. Then mentally let it go as you burn it or throw it away. Watch it go as you free yourself.
3. Choose your company wisely. Hang out with someone who emit positivity and enthusiasm. Stay away from people who are negative. If you need to be near them, try shielding yourself energetically.
4. Splurge a little. Buy something small as a way of valuing yourself.
5. Have a spa day. Take a long bath not a short one. Soak yourself. Read a magazine or play some music.
6. Be passionate. Set aside some time to do something that makes your soul happy. What is the one thing that you are so passionate about? Many of us work so much that we forget how it feels to do something we are passionate about.
Next time you find yourself saying, “I need to do something for myself and not others,” go through our list and pick something that inspires or speak to you.
To have a healthy mind, body, and soul, we need to find ways to re-center and re-store. The thing about self-care is that it is a practice we chose to do. We need to make space for it. The result is worth the effort. With a little self-practice, we can experience more joy and less stress. Incorporate a few of these self-care practices in your day and you will feel more connected to yourself.
Which will you try first??